Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
dm_h_2007

Default Beckham comming to America to join MLS

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16453485/

I have no idea on earth why they would pay $250 mil to bring a star here to play in a sport no one cares about!! I have never watched even 1 second of an MLS game in my life and my city has an MLS team that plays about 10 mins from where I live!!

And I'm sorry to say, just because David Beckham might be in town for a game still will not make me want to go see it or even watch it on TV. I'm a true American, I hate soccer. This would be like Peyton Manning going to play football (not soccer) in Europe, nobody would care and it would be a waste of his talents!
dm_h_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

Maybe they brought a star just because no one cares about football in America.

Maybe you don't remember the hype after WC 94?

And plz stop calling football soccer
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Is Beckham going to the US :shock:
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Indeed he is this summer. His salary will be £128 Million for five years.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Insane!

Never had expected that!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
dm_h_2007

Maybe they brought a star just because no one cares about football in America.

Maybe you don't remember the hype after WC 94?

And plz stop calling football soccer
I was actually in Sunnyvale California in 1994 just down the road from some of the WC 94 games. And I cared nothing about it even back then. I could name more figure skaters than I could soccer players. Both in the USA and Europe. I could not name a single winning team of the WC ever. I dont even know who won last year. Did Germany win? I know they hosted it, thats pretty amazing that I even know that!

And even Beckham is going to have to start calling it "soccer" now that he is in the USA!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
blinkmeat
Regular User

I wonder if he'll dominate? Good hype for the sport I bet - I heard he has an academy in Los Angeles anyway
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
dm_h_2007

This is from anothr board about the deal -

"that $250MM is not going to be all "cash" AND it won't all be paid by the Galaxy alone. MLS has a completely different business model than every other pro sport in the US. i'm not saying it isn't a hell of a lot of money, but the media is going to make it seem like he is going to get a $50MM check each year for next 5 years. not the case."
Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
I wonder if he'll dominate? Good hype for the sport I bet - I heard he has an academy in Los Angeles anyway
He's dominating days are long gone both in Real Madrid and the brittish team but I guess the standard in USA is low so propably.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
blinkmeat
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
He's dominating days are long gone both in Real Madrid and the brittish team but I guess the standard in USA is low so propably.
That's what I'm saying
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
bmwmpower
Regular User

its stupid, paying so much money for someone who is out of form, also moving from europe to league ,which is almost unknow is strange, that show his character, he s not going back to english squad,
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
pitfield
Regular User

Default Re: Beckham comming to America to join MLS

Originally Posted by dm_h_2007

I have no idea on earth why they would pay $250 mil to bring a star here to play in a sport no one cares about!! I have never watched even 1 second of an MLS game in my life and my city has an MLS team that plays about 10 mins from where I live!!

And I'm sorry to say, just because David Beckham might be in town for a game still will not make me want to go see it or even watch it on TV. I'm a true American, I hate soccer. This would be like Peyton Manning going to play football (not soccer) in Europe, nobody would care and it would be a waste of his talents!
Funny we call a game in which the players use their feet 'football'.

And the feeling's mutual, no one in Europe gives a toss about American football. If we're going to pick up the ball and run around with it we call it rugby, it's a bit like American football but the players have skill, don't wear gay padding, and don'tget a break every 5 seconds fora commercial.
pitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
dm_h_2007

Originally Posted by pitfield

Funny we call a game in which the players use their feet 'football'.

And the feeling's mutual, no one in Europe gives a toss about American football. If we're going to pick up the ball and run around with it we call it rugby, it's a bit like American football but the players have skill, don't wear gay padding, and don'tget a break every 5 seconds fora commercial.
Not another one of these.... This has been beat to death in forums all over the world. Your football should really be called "kick ball" and out football should really be called "throw ball". But who the hell cares about the names? They are both inaccurate and everyone knows what you are talking about when you use either name in context so get over it.

And I hate soccer / "kick ball" and I have no desire for you to like our football, or baseball, or basketball. I could not care less if you ever watch a baseball game in your life or not. And I have no desire to ever see baseball or American football played in Europe. Why cant you just except that I hate the game of soccer and just be OK with that? We don’t all have to like all other sports. I have no problem what so ever with you hating baseball, which is my favorite sport.

And before you come back with that lame argument that Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, don't bother. That is meaningless. Most things that are most popular are not the best. The Ford F-150 is the most "popular" vehicle in the world but that certainly does not make it the "best"!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
ARMAN
Regular User

Why cant you just except that I hate the game of soccer and just be OK with that? We don’t all have to like all other sports. I have no problem what so ever with you hating baseball, which is my favorite sport.
eskuzemua WTF you have posted this thread here for then? what was your point?

Footbal is a huge business and clubs owners want to make money in US too so whats so hard to understand why Bekham going to US? :roll:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
dm_h_2007

Originally Posted by ARMAN
Why cant you just except that I hate the game of soccer and just be OK with that? We don’t all have to like all other sports. I have no problem what so ever with you hating baseball, which is my favorite sport.
eskuzemua WTF you have posted this thread here for then? what was your point?

Footbal is a huge business and clubs owners want to make money in US too so whats so hard to understand why Bekham going to US? :roll:
I posted it because I was the first person to post this big headline on this board. And I understand why the MLS did this, to try to promote soccer in America. I just don't think it will work. You could bring the top 10 players in the world here, that ronaldoho guy (thats the only other player i have ever heard of and I have no idea how you spell or even pronounce his name) and it still would not make the MLS catch on in America. That is my opinion.